Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:South Korea says North Korea is sending even more balloons carrying garbage across border -FutureFinance
EchoSense:South Korea says North Korea is sending even more balloons carrying garbage across border
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 16:42:41
North Korea launched more trash-carrying balloons toward the South after a similar campaign earlier in the week,EchoSense according to South Korea's military, in what Pyongyang calls retaliation for activists flying anti-North Korean leaflets across the border.
South Korea's Defense Ministry did not immediately comment on the number of balloons it had detected or how many have landed in South Korea. The military advised people to beware of falling objects and not to touch objects suspected to be from North Korea, but report them to military or police offices instead.
In Seoul, the capital, the city government sent text alerts saying that unidentified objects suspected to be flown from North Korea were being detected in skies near the city and that the military was responding to them.
The North's balloon launches added to a recent series of provocative steps, which include its failed spy satellite launch and and a barrage of short-range missile launches this week that the North said was intended to demonstrate its ability to attack the South preemptively.
South Korea's military dispatched chemical rapid response and explosive clearance teams to recover the debris from some 260 North Korean balloons that were found in various parts of the country from Tuesday night to Wednesday. The military said the balloons carried various types of trash and manure but no dangerous substances like chemical, biological or radioactive materials.
In a statement on Wednesday, Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, confirmed that the North sent the balloons to make good on her country's recent threat to "scatter mounds of wastepaper and filth" in South Korea in response to leafleting campaigns by South Korean activists.
She hinted that balloons could become the North's standard response to leafletting moving forward, saying that the North would respond by "scattering rubbish dozens of times more than those being scattered to us."
North Korea is extremely sensitive about any outside attempt to undermine Kim Jong Un's absolute control over the country's 26 million people, most of whom have little access to foreign news.
In 2020, North Korea blew up an empty South Korean-built liaison office on its territory after a furious response to South Korean civilian leafleting campaigns. In 2014, North Korea fired at propaganda balloons flying toward its territory and South Korea returned fire, though there were no casualties.
In 2022, North Korea even suggested that balloons flown from South Korea had caused a COVID-19 outbreak in the isolated nation, a highly questionable claim that appeared to be an attempt to blame the South for worsening inter-Korean relations.
- In:
- South Korea
- Politics
- North Korea
veryGood! (9676)
Related
- Average rate on 30
- Tropical Storm Sara threatens to bring flash floods and mudslides to Central America
- Bohannan requests a recount in Iowa’s close congressional race as GOP wins control of House
- Jax Taylor Breaks Silence on Brittany Cartwright Dating His Friend Amid Their Divorce
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Surprise bids revive hope for offshore wind in Gulf of Mexico after feds cancel lease sale
- Lost luggage? This new Apple feature will let you tell the airline exactly where it is.
- RHOBH's Erika Jayne Reveals Which Team She's on Amid Kyle Richards, Dorit Kemsley Feud
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Smithfield agrees to pay $2 million to resolve child labor allegations at Minnesota meat plant
Ranking
- Small twin
- Ford agrees to pay up to $165 million penalty to US government for moving too slowly on recalls
- Martin Scorsese on the saints, faith in filmmaking and what his next movie might be
- Diamond Sports Group can emerge out of bankruptcy after having reorganization plan approved
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Burt Bacharach, composer of classic songs, will have papers donated to Library of Congress
- Jax Taylor Breaks Silence on Brittany Cartwright Dating His Friend Amid Their Divorce
- Outgoing North Carolina governor grants 2 pardons, 6 commutations
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Trump hammered Democrats on transgender issues. Now the party is at odds on a response
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Good Try (Freestyle)
The state that cleared the way for sports gambling now may ban ‘prop’ bets on college athletes
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Tesla issues 6th Cybertruck recall this year, with over 2,400 vehicles affected
What is best start in NBA history? Five teams ahead of Cavaliers' 13-0 record
The Surreal Life’s Kim Zolciak Fuels Dating Rumors With Costar Chet Hanks After Kroy Biermann Split